It finally came. The news i was expecting since January, and that caused me to delay doing any maintenance restore to my iPhone for months. iPhone OS 4.0 will be presented Thursday the 8th, and this is what i expect:
- Some kind of multitasking, even if limited.
- New notification system.
- Unified inbox for email.
- Refreshed Springboard UI
- New system wide multitouch gestures
- Printing support
- Global documents storage area
- FM radio app
- Access to calendar events in the SDK
- Xbox Live/PSN style gaming network
- IM integration with contacts
What i also would like to see:
- Wifi sync for podcasts
- Widgets, at least on the lockscreen
- Tasks app
- Quick access to wifi, bluetooth and 3G settings
- Better battery life
- Less restrictions in the SDK
It´s clear expectations are really high. However, this time i think there´s a big chance most of this will really happen, because it has to - now Apple has real competition, and the current iPhone UI is showing it´s age.
One more thing - has i´ve been in the beta test program for one iPhone app, i have my iPhone´s UDID registered to a dev´s account. This means i will be able to install the beta builds of OS 4.0, so stay tunned!